California State University, San Bernardino
Employment Status: Full-time, Temporary, Exempt position.
Work Schedule: To be determined. Incumbent will be expected to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
First Review Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning March 14, 2019.
Academic advisors at CSUSB assist students in the development and implementation of meaningful academic, personal, and career plans that are strengths based, equity minded and compatible with their individual goals. The key goals of academic advising are: 1) timely graduation, 2) knowledge of university policies and procedures and engagement with resources, and 3) knowledge of personal, academic and career options and pathways.
- Zoom Interviews will tentatively take place on March 21st or 22nd, 2019. Candidates invited to participate in this phase will be notified via e-mail.
Direct Advising Services to Students:
- Conduct advising campaigns targeting specific student populations, classes or academic majors.
- Responsible for advising a specific caseload of students based on designated majors ranging from 600-1000 students.Advise students individually or in groups, on issues related to planning an academic program, choosing an educational or career goal.
- Advise students in specific curriculum decisions including the choice and scheduling of courses, selection or change of majors and minors, providing referrals to specific departments, schools or colleges as appropriate.
- Provide information on specific programs, and make referrals where appropriate, to services offered by the university or by organizations outside.
- Assists students in the development of an education plan including choosing a major/clarifying career goal.
- Informs students about alternatives, limitations and possible consequences of academic decisions (e.g. adding, dropping and withdrawing from courses; change of program, major and/or transfer institution).
- Educates students about course planning and registration processes, refers to available on-and off-campus resources to meet individual needs including career and personal counseling.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge about the College's programs and requirements.
- Represents academic advising department on various internal and external committees.
- Develops and promotes internal communication and resource sharing in order to benefit student success.
- Gathers, develops and promotes best practices for continuous improvement
- Participates in individual and team professional development, remains current with technology used in advising.
- Serve as liaison and resource with academic and student services departments as assigned.
- Disseminates certificate, diploma and university transfer program information to all learners and other appropriate internal and external contacts in individual or group sessions.
- Develops and interprets Academic Planning Guides; maintains administrative and program information files.
- Organize and present outreach programs for classes, academic departments, residence halls and student organizations related to academic advising issues.
- Assist with administrative responsibilities, supervise staff and serve on committees and at meetings as assigned.
- Authorizes course withdrawals, adds, and drops as required.
- Maintains administrative documents and confidential student records.
- Interprets testing results relevant to math and English placement decisions.
- Prepare, organize, and maintain appropriate resources, reports and statistical summaries.
- Audits, monitors, and evaluates individual student academic progress.
Education & Experience:
Applicants must possess the equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or job-related field AND the equivalent of two (2) years of professional experience in a student services program or a related field. A Master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work or directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
- Applicants must possess a working knowledge of applicable university and federal policy and procedures.
- Applicants must demonstrate the ability to gather and analyze data, reason logically, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Applicants must possess the ability to participate in and contribute to group meetings and establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with students, staff, faculty, and administrators.
- Applicants must possess a working knowledge of correct English, grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Applicants must possess a working knowledge of the basic principles of individual and group behavior.
- Applicants must possess fundamental writing skills and effective communication skills with the ability to interact with people from diverse backgrounds.
- The ability to write, speak and read other languages is desired.
- Applicants must have a working knowledge of computer software applications.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096).
To view full description and to apply, visit: https://www.csusb.edu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency