This ad is expired.
Assistant Librarian - STEM (Open Rank)
To serve the information needs of library clientele in assigned subject area(s) to include liaison, collection development, user instruction and reference activities; must also cooperate and function as part of a team to provide services to all library users. This is an entry-level rank assigned to those beginning their professional careers or those, who upon their appointment, do not meet the criteria of Associate Librarian. Work is performed under general supervision with latitude for individual initiative and judgment. Evaluation of employee performance is based upon accomplishment of defined objectives.
The Texas Tech University Libraries has an opening for a proactive, creative, and inventive Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Librarian at our fast-paced, innovative campus. The primary assignment of this tenure-track position is to provide a reference, instruction, and collection development in these areas. The candidate is expected to grow into the position over time and to use their unique skill sets to improve it and make it their own. Additionally, the STEM librarian will support data and technology initiatives of the University Libraries, work closely with a diverse population of colleagues and students and engage in research and collaborative opportunities. While this positions focus will be to work with faculty across the STEM disciplines the candidate will be encouraged to seek interdisciplinary research opportunities and connections across campus and throughout the Tech System.
- Actively participate in the librarys instruction and outreach program with a heavy emphasis on promoting information literacy to STEM-related disciplines.
- Provide reference services in creative and innovative ways including personal contact with departments and utilizing various technology tools.
- Develop and maintain STEM reference materials in both print and digital forms as well as making specific recommendations to purchase research materials germane to the STEM fields.
- Contribute to chat services and other virtual reference services as needed.
- Maintain as well as enhance web-based research guides pertinent to assigned STEM areas.
- Contribute substantially to the planning, development, and assessment of departmental policies.
- Participate on library committees and cross-functional teams as assigned.
- Faculty are expected to participate in library, college, and university governance.
Masters degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program.
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in a STEM field.
- Experience or course work in the use of reference and research tools with special emphasis in STEM fields.
- Evidence of a strong customer service orientation coupled with an ability to interact positively and productively in a collegial academic environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding of current trends and issues in this area, including emerging technologies, institutional repositories, and open-access textbooks.
- Evidence of ability to meet Texas Tech Libraries requirements for promotion and tenure.
- Experience working with diverse student populations and first-generation students is highly desirable. Texas Tech University recently surpassed the Hispanic student population threshold necessary for designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
To apply, visit workattexastech.com
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The university does not discriminate on the basis of an applicants race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran. Texas Tech welcomes consideration of dual career and professional couple accommodations.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency