University of Michigan
Market Title: Student Affairs Program Specialist
Job Code: 103278
Working Title: Communications and Programs Specialist
Department Name: Center for Campus Involvement, University Unions
University Unions Overview (http://uunions.umich.edu)
University Unions is a self-funded auxiliary enterprise which serves the campus through its three historic unions (Michigan Union, Michigan League, Pierpont Commons), academic meeting and dining facility (Palmer Commons), Center for Campus Involvement (over 1,400 student organizations and hundreds of programs), and works in close partnership with Conferences & Event Services and Michigan Dining to provide student-focused and customer-oriented service to the campus community. University Unions is in the midst of an $85 million project to renovate the iconic Michigan Union, with the project expected to be complete in winter 2020. Total budget volume for University Unions approximates $20 million. University Unions directly employs over 80 regular staff and 250 student staff.
Center for Campus Involvement Overview (http://campusinvolvement.umich.edu)
The Center for Campus Involvement (CCI) in University Unions within Student Life at the University of Michigan is a dynamic, student-focused department that serves all undergraduate and graduate students through student programs, student services, and student development. Through meaningful involvement, CCI creates transformative experiences, a vibrant community, and lifelong memories for University of Michigan students. CCI recognizes and supports over 1,400 student organizations through education, advising, advocacy and services. CCI also implements hundreds of social, educational, cultural, and recreational programs each year, focused on building community within and beyond University Unions' facilities. CCI directly employs 14 regular staff and 80 student staff.
The Communications and Programs Specialist implements and promotes a deliberate leadership development program in a new co-working space for University of Michigan student organizations, called the Ideahub, located in the renovated Michigan Union. The Ideahub is a place for student organizations to learn about, experiment with, and display leadership. The Program Advisor facilitates a synergistic and coherent communications, marketing, and social media strategy for the Ideahub and across the Center for Campus Involvement, ensuring promotions and communication about the department's services, resources, and programs. The individual in this position develops and maintains campus partnerships and serves as an essential member of the Center for Campus Involvement team.
Marketing and Communications (45%)
- Ensure a coherent and vibrant marketing strategy for Ideahub programs and services
- Develop and implement a creative communications plan to educate student organizations on how they can use the Ideahub.
- Utilize all available communication mediums to coordinate a synergistic and vibrant marketing and communication process (e.g. web-based platforms, email, social media, video, posters, banners)
- Coordinate a synergistic marketing and communication process
- Serve as a point-of-contact for Auxiliary Marketing to ensure the graphic design process, address workflow needs, and represent CCI in promotional efforts
- Write and produce annual communications (e.g., reports, infographics) about Ideahub and CCI accomplishments
- Partner with CCI staff to implement marketing efforts across all functions as well as data gathering to produce robust annual communications of accomplishments
- Partner with Auxiliary Marketing for design and branding initiatives.
Program Development and Implementation (45%)
- Implement a series of leadership development experiences for student organization in the Ideahub, a new co-working space in the Michigan Union
- Support the development of a student organization leadership curriculum that map to Student Life learning outcomes and Leadership for Social Change
- Refine curriculum based on benchmarking, literature review and professional networking to ensure best practice
- Continually assess the effectiveness of offerings in delivering on Student Life learning outcomes and program goals
- Support additional CCI leadership programs as needed, such as Leadershape
- Foster atmosphere of student growth and well-being through engaging students in reflective practice and self-discovery
- Recognize the needs/issues of specific University student populations and outreach to communities and campus partners as needed
- Advise and supervise 6-8 Leadership Development Involvement Coordinators that will support the implementation of student organization leadership programs in the Ideahub
- Provide education, training, support, guidance and challenge to student leaders through their co-curricular involvement while maintaining a patient and accepting attitude when working with students and staff
- Work collaboratively with CCI and UU staff to provide a well-considered plan for building an inclusive community through organizations and programs across campus.
Administrative Duties (10%)
- Create budgets, track expenses, and reconcile charges.
- Negotiate and prepare University entertainment and service agreements
- Approve and manage payroll for temporary student employees
- Maintain accurate records and prepare reports
Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Position Criteria
- Completed Bachelor's degree by start date
- Minimum two years of experience in student activities either as a student or professional
- Skills in program planning and marketing
- A commitment to student learning and development
- Master's degree in Higher Education, College Student Affairs or related field
- Knowledge and experience with communication and marketing strategies
- Skills in working on collaborative projects
- An understanding of and commitment to the college union philosophy
- Strong multicultural competencies
- Skills in communications and/or marketing
- Advising and supervising skills
- Value and practice diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Interpersonal and written communication skills
- Willingness to embrace emerging technologies and social media to advance our work
- A solid understanding of office software is expected
This position manages a $10,000 marketing budget, is responsible for creating, tracking, and reconciling program budgets.
The position requires flexible work hours, an individual who is able to work evenings and weekends. The successful candidate must be able to work in a collaborative environment, but also work independently and make good decisions that reflect University and Student Life policies, procedures and philosophies
This position requires the ability to travel to various campus locations to attend meetings and/or support students.
Supervision of graduate and/or undergraduate student employees.
How to Apply:
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Please apply online at:
*Priority given to applicants responding by May 13th, 2019
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency