This ad is expired.
Founded in 1813, Colby is one of America's most selective colleges. Serving only undergraduates, Colby's rigorous academic program is rooted in deep exploration of ideas and close interaction with world-class faculty scholars. Students pursue intellectual passions, choosing among 58 majors or developing their own. Independent and collaborative research, study abroad, and internships offer robust opportunities to prepare students for postgraduate success. Colby is home to a community of 2,000 dedicated and diverse students from around the globe. Its Maine location provides easy access to world-class research institutions and civic engagement experiences.
In a period of fast-paced progress, Colby is building on its strong foundation while remaining committed to excellence, to supporting students and faculty at the highest levels, and to the College's deep liberal arts traditions. This new chapter includes the creation of innovative academic initiatives and partnerships, strengthening the connections between the liberal arts and the professional world, revitalizing downtown Waterville, and pursuing significant capital projects for performing arts and athletics. Colby invites applicants to apply for the position of:
DavisConnects Advisor for Law, Government & Policy Professions
Full-Time, Exempt, Salaried, Administrative Staff Appointment
Complementing its focus on a classical, broad-based liberal education that requires deep inquiry, hones critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and encourages curiosity and lifelong learning, Colby now integrates a set of universally available experiences into the academic program. Several opportunities will allow students to connect their education to the world and the great challenges of the 21st century while preparing them for future success in graduate schools and careers. DavisConnects guarantees a global experience for all students, making Colby the first leading liberal arts college to provide funding for every student to spend time abroad. Ultimately, Colby will connect every student to a facilitated and funded set of internship and research experiences, establishing Colby as a leader in global education and offering all Colby students an exceptional and unique set of opportunities that will deepen their education and improve their life outcomes.
Colby College is seeking a new advisor for Government, Law & Policy professions to join the DavisConnects team, participating in a comprehensive student advising model, primarily driven by the goal of integrating universal experiences (research, internship, and global) into the student experience. The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic and visionary culture to advise students and graduates who express interest in exploring, preparing for, and pursuing higher education and careers in all levels of government (state, local, national, etc.), law, and the full range of public policy opportunities in the public and private sectors. This role will also support the application process for national fellowships including Fulbright, Watson, Rhodes, and others requiring an institutional endorsement. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Primary advisor to students and alumni interested in areas of Government, Law and Policy professions, helping them assess interests, explore opportunities, and refine a plan leading to post-graduate success
- Provide coordination for law school applications
- Serve as the Colby and DavisConnects Fellowships coordinator, collaborating with the Dean of Faculty's office and the faculty liaisons for each fellowship
- Partner with key members of the Colby community (alumni/parents/volunteers) and other DavisConnects team members and partners to enhance subject matter expertise, facilitate advising opportunities for Colby students, as well as to access job and internship opportunities in the law, government, and policy professions
- Serve as the lead organizer for the annual DavisConnects/Goldfarb Center for Public Affairs Hill-to-Hill career trek and facilitated internship program, and Law Day-type programs
- Advise first-year students as a member of the DavisConnects advising team
- Oversee all pre-law advising and programs, incorporating the most up-to-date knowledge of law school admissions requirements and application best practices
- Collect and analyze data, and track trends of Colby graduates pursuing law school
- Facilitate workshops and manage programs for target populations to include industry focused alumni panels, off-campus treks (off-campus opportunitiesto explore career industries across the U.S.) and topical workshops
- Advise and critique on related law, government, and policy professions' application materials and personal credentials, as well as facilitate mock interviewing and networking opportunities
- Advocate for underrepresented groups and diversity in government, law & policy professions
- Assist students preparing for graduate school in law, government and policy
- Inform, guide, and assist students with preparation fellowship applications
- Collaborate with the employer engagement team to cultivate national and international student research and internship opportunities in law, government, and policy
- Build and nurture relationships with academic departments, student groups, and other campus entities
- Work with College Advancement colleagues to leverage contacts for the purpose of enhancing student programming and experiential opportunities
- Build advantageous relationships with related graduate and law school programs in the U.S. and abroad, as well as institutions and corporations leading to opportunities and programs benefitting students interested in the areas of law, government, and policy
- Maintain current knowledge of industry trends and identify areas of opportunity and growth for students and young alumni
- Serve as a representative for DavisConnects at various campus events including Admissions and Alumni events
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in education and experience; advanced coursework a plus
- Minimum of 3 years in advising and/or progressive responsibility in student advising in a liberal arts college setting; experience in a related professional field preferred
- Working knowledge of the requirements of law, government and policy graduate programs, application systems and procedures, and the selection criteria employed particularly by law schools, or experience in the law field preferred
- Ability to interact effectively with multiple constituents including students, faculty, alumni, parents, and employers
- Experience organizing, marketing, and executing events preferred
- Commitment to working with a diverse student population at a top liberal arts college
- Experience working with or advising diverse groups or students appreciated
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills combined with a professional demeanor
- Highly organized with extreme attentiveness to detail related to managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Proficiency in database systems as well as Google/Microsoft suites
- Valid driver's license required and must meet the College's Fleet Safety Policy requirements
This position has significant interaction with all DavisConnects staff and academic department faculty. Working with the Director of Advising and other Advising team members, this position will engage a variety of campus constituents, as well as the Colby Network to provide a best-in-class advising experience and student growth opportunities.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
General open office and campus environment. Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary. Weekend and evening hours required. Some travel is required.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the Apply Now button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
DavisConnects Advisor for Law, Government & Policy Professions - Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Colby is a private, coeducational liberal arts college that admits students and makes employment decisions on the basis of the individual's qualifications to contribute to Colby's educational objectives and institutional needs. Colby College does not discriminate in its educational programs or employment on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or military or veteran's status. Colby is an equal opportunity employer and operates in accordance with federal and state laws regarding non-discrimination.Colby complies with Title IX, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in an institution's education programs and activities. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to Colby's Title IX coordinator or to the federal Office of Civil Rights.We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our college.
For more information about the College, please visit our website: www.colby.edu.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency