Magazine / Graphic Designer
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Under the direction of creative team and university magazine leadership, work with marketing communication colleagues and campus partners to design the university magazine, the WPI Journal, published four times annually. This is an in-house, part-time position with benefits that will average 25 hours per week over the course of the year, aligning with the production schedule of the WPI Journal.
As additional time allows, the magazine designer/graphic designer will contribute to design solutions for other advancement, admissions, academic, or university initiatives. The design team collaboratively works to innovate within brand guidelines to create experiences that engage audiences, while achieving the university's goals to advance recruitment, reputation, research, and philanthropy.
- Develop and execute creative concepts for the university magazine, a 50+ page high-end publication published four times annually.
- Partner and collaborate continuously with magazine editor to establish, iterate, and execute all aspects of the creative vision for publication. Balance freshness with maintaining consistency to the overall publication look and feel, while supporting the WPI brand.
- Complete page layout and artistic enhancement to the entire magazine, competing drafts, edits, and changes as needed to ensure successful and on-time publication completion.
- Coordinate with production team and printer to facilitate all aspects of print planning, file preparation, printing, and management of files.
- Prepare magazine graphic elements for online version of publication and assist with transferring of content to web site and other digital interfaces.
- Participate in collaborative design exchange to brainstorm ideas, share feedback, and create solutions for the greater good.
- Assist in art direction, scheduling, and staging of photography shoots as needed for the magazine or other marketing projects.
- Provide design and assistance for any other duties as assigned.
- 7-10 years experience in graphic design, including experience with magazine layout.
- Experience with large print presses, paper reactions, and color responses.
- Innovative graphic skills, and obsession with fonts, and a deep knowledge of branding.
- Ability to transform print material into digital uses for website, social media, and other marketing/promotional areas.
- Skills in illustration, infographics, iconography, and photography art direction highly preferred.
- Ability to self-manage projects, multi-task, and deliver on timelines.
- Creative thought leader and doer with a strong eye for detail.
- Innovative thinker with passion for learning about latest industry trends and best practices.
- Advanced expertise in Adobe Creative Cloud applications, Microsoft Office, DropBox. Familiarity with Drupal Content Management System, MailChimp, Marketing Cloud helpful.
Note to applicants:
- Applicants will be asked to share an original portfolio of their design work.
- This is an in-house, part-time position with benefits averaging 25 hours per week. Weekly hours will fluctuate to align with the production schedule of the university magazine. Designer will need to be available to work in WPI's office in Worcester, MA.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Magazine---Graphic-Designer_R0000286
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency