Online Program Director, Science
Requisition Number: ONLIN01702
- Reports to: Dean, STEM
- Department: Academics
- School: STEM
- Program: Science
- Location: Remote
- FLSA Status: Exempt
Synopsis of Role:
The Program Director of is a key leadership position within the university. The Program Director provides the resources for a quality learning experience for students by ensuring coherence in the discipline and relevance to the practice. This management position contributes to a range of activities that support student learning outcomes, program quality, and discipline integrity, all of which focus on student learning and retention. The Program Director facilitates the work with other departments including faculty hiring, institutional research and assessment, instructional design, Library and course materials, and marketing. The Program Director collaborates with the Faculty Director to provide the total learning experience for students and a cohesive work environment for faculty.
- Responsible for program curriculum quality and management of discipline leaders to include:
- Program and discipline quality
- Define program and course objectives, review regularly, and revise as needed.
- Update program content and materials and/or delivery methods, based on information such as emerging practice changes in the discipline, instructional effectiveness data, current or future performance requirements, feasibility, and costs.
- Research, evaluate and prepare recommendations on current and future curricula.
- Work with discipline course leads to ensure discipline and program continuity, currency, and relevance.
- Convene regular meetings with course leads so they are aware of how their course(s) fit within the overall program progression, and other APUS requirements.
- Interview and utilize subject matter experts as well as conduct other research to develop relevant and current instructional content and methods of instruction.
- Confer with members of educational committees and advisory groups to obtain knowledge of subject areas, and to relate curriculum materials to specific subjects, individual student needs, occupational areas, and discipline knowledge.
- Analyze various program areas and prepare program and course analysis for program and course reviews, and course and homework contact hours.
- Work with Institutional Research Department to develop course and program assessments that evaluate student learning and effectiveness of instructional strategies and methods to achieve learning outcomes.
- Regularly analyze and report on data to assess student learning and retention.
- Program delivery
- Ensure APUS instructional standards and policies are reflected in course design.
- Research and evaluate emerging instructional technologies or methods and develop instructional materials (e.g., lessons, audio-visual materials, etc.) accordingly.
- Provide analytical support for the design and development of curricula, learning strategies, educational policies, or courseware standards.
- Ensures model courses are developed and maintained according to applicable accreditation, certification, or other requirements.
- External review and validation
- Engage with external expert reviewers to review program content; execute reviewer recommendations as applicable.
- Convene and Chair Industry Advisory Council meetings.
- Discipline communities
- Coach/mentor discipline leaders (e.g., course leads and full-time faculty) in curriculum development, as needed, to ensure standards are maintained.
- Support/promote ongoing professional development and scholarship for course leads and full-time faculty.
- Ensure course leads and full-time faculty are aware of new classroom procedures and instructional materials.
- Recognize course leads and full-time faculty for outstanding performance or accomplishments.
- Provide input for annual performance reviews.
- Regularly advise instructors in curriculum development and use of materials.
- Chair meetings with instructors teaching courses in the discipline (monthly or quarterly) on curriculum/content/development of discipline and practice with those who teach in the program, and to promote community among all in the discipline.
- Maintain discipline knowledge and establish and advance discipline as leader per APUS Strategic Plan and priorities.
- Conduct research and publish, and if applicable, contribute to the practice and in industry.
- Participate in the discipline-related professional communities.
- Teach courses within program (i.e., 150 registrations per year).
- Support APUS initiatives and departments; specifically marketing.
- Coaching and Developing Others Identifying the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Communications Knowledge of communication and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform via written, oral, and visual media.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Deep Knowledge - Knowledge of one's discipline and practice and the ability to translate theory and practice into learning opportunities that advance the discipline.
- Education and Training Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and measurement.
- Learning Strategies Selecting and using instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Monitoring Monitoring/assessing curriculum to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge Keeping up-to-date in the discipline and applying new knowledge to your job.
- Adaptability/Flexibility Open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Attention to Detail Careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Cooperation - Pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Discipline Expertise - Willing and able to remain current on discipline development.
- Initiative - Willing and able to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Innovation Creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems.
- Leadership - Willing and able to lead; take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
- Self-Control - Maintain composure, keep emotions in check, control anger, and avoid aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Stress Tolerance Ability to accept criticism and deal calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
- Terminal degree in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Genetics, or a closely related science field from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- Five or more years of teaching experience is required.
- Capability to support non-traditional students (adults/working adults/part-time students, etc.) in achieving the learning outcomes of the relevant courses.
- Ability to instruct and support students from a broad variety of backgrounds and prior experiences.
- Ability to uphold academic rigor and integrity, and simultaneously assist students in achieving academic and practical success.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs is required.
Faculty and curricula management
Developing and implementing remotely-delivered laboratory experiences
Leading and managing multiple complex projects with remote teams
Team leadership role within one of the following fields: biotechnology, biomedical science, bioinformatics, or genetic engineering
- Sitting, extensive use of keyboard
- Required attendance at meetings in Charles Town, WV, Virginia, or D.C.
*Please note: Applicants selected to proceed in the hiring process with conferred degrees from foreign institution(s) will require a course-by-course evaluation completed by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved agency. All charges associated with official transcripts and foreign transcript evaluations are the responsibility of the applicant and are not reimbursed by APUS.
To apply, visit https://recruiting.ultipro.com/AME1070/JobBoard/711bd40f-864c-42db-8c62-3c62f2edc13f/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=40347e5c-f750-4ddd-90ab-f8b17197569d
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency