Organic Chemistry Laboratory Specialist
University of San Francisco
USF Hilltop Campus
Organic Chemistry Laboratory Specialist
The Department of Chemistry at the University of San Francisco is seeking a full-time staff Organic Chemistry Laboratory Specialist. Under the supervision of the Director of Technical Staff and Instrumentation Specialist and the Chemistry Department Chair, the Organic Chemistry Laboratory Specialist primarily facilitates the delivery and development of the undergraduate organic laboratory courses in the Department of Chemistry.
Full Job Description:
- Set up and take down reagents, equipment, and supplies for weekly experiments
- Acquire the reagents, small equipment, and supplies necessary for executing experiments in the teaching lab
- Maintain the instrumentation for the labs to ensure facile use by the undergraduate students (FT-NMR, FT-IR, and GC-FID, etc.)
- Test new experiments for the laboratory curriculum (in collaboration with faculty instructors)
- Arrange for lab equipment maintenance (in collaboration with the Director of Technical Staff) and hazardous materials disposal (in collaboration with the Lab Safety Manager)
- Work with both the Lab Safety Manager and faculty to ensure the labs are prepped and carried out by students using requisite safety protocols
- Ensure the organization and cleanliness of the lab prep and teaching spaces
- Coordinate student enrollments in Organic Chemistry I and II Labs
- Teach two sections of Organic Chemistry I Lab in fall semester and one section of Organic Chemistry II Lab in spring semester as part of regular job responsibilities
- Be responsible for Thursday morning and Friday afternoon lab sections
- Schedule, supervise, and teach undergraduate and graduate student lab assistants to help with the responsibilities outlined above
- Schedule (in collaboration with faculty instructors) teaching assistants for the organic laboratories
- Collaborate with other staff to support upper division labs in other sub-disciplines
- Complete the day to day operational needs to support the NMR
- Conduct routine maintenance on the NMR (cryogenics, daily check-in on parameters, etc.)
- Train faculty in the proper use of the NMR
- Serve as the on-site troubleshooter for the NMR to ensure the NMR can be used by research students
- Serve as primary point person to resolve serious problems with the NMR in conjunction with the Director of Technical Staff
- Additional duties as assigned
- MS in Organic Chemistry with three years of experience in a lab. PhD in Organic Chemistry preferred.
- Availability during laboratory hours is required.
- Expertise in common organic lab equipment and associated instruments such as NMR, IR, GC, GC/MS.
- Knowledge of and skill in independent preparation of laboratory reagents and solutions.
- Expertise in chemical laboratory techniques.
- Knowledge of lab safety procedures.
- Skill with computers, including file handling, databases, spreadsheets, and word processing software.
- Experience managing NMR spectrometers strongly preferred.
Candidates should submit a statement of interest, curriculum vitae, and names and contact info for two references to Prof. William Karney at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately. Direct any questions to Prof. Karney at the email address above.
To apply, visit https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USF_Staff/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Organic-Chemistry-Laboratory-Specialist_R0004608-1.
The University of San Francisco is located in the heart of one of the worlds most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields. Its diverse student body enjoys direct access to faculty, small classes and outstanding opportunities in the city itself. USF is San Francisco's first university, and its Jesuit Catholic mission helps ignite a students passion for social justice and a desire to Change the World From Here. For more information, visit http://www.usfca.edu.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency