Puente Program Coordinator (H.S.I. STEM Grant)
Posting Number: 0000850
Position Status: Full-Time
Salary: The starting salary range is $44,692 - $49,161 based on the Lee College Administrative/Administrative Support Salary Scale, C42. Starting salary is commensurate with education and related work experience.
Department: Retention & Transition Services
Job Summary/Basic Function:
As a Hispanic Serving Institution (H.S.I.), Lee College was awarded a grant from the U.S.Department of Education to develop and implement strategies that will expand our capacity to serve Hispanic and other low-income students in the content areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). The grant focuses on three primary areas: improve student service programs, increase STEM degree obtainment among Hispanic and other low-income students, and development of model transfer and articulation agreements between two-year HSI's is and four-year institutions in STEM fields. Strategies include intrusive advising to create cohesive educational plans, financial aid nudges, Lee College/Lamar University Dual Admissions agreement and intrusive transfer experiences.
This position will report directly to the Executive Director of Retention and Transition Services and will provide coordination of the Puente Mentoring Program with duties including, not limited to: planning, implementing and coordinating of events/activities that lead to the retention and transfer of PUENTE students; recruiting of prospective PUENTE students; educational planning for prospective and current PUENTE students; individual and group counseling; recruiting, training, and coordinating further support PUENTE students; instructing personal development courses; attending all English PUENTE courses to further work with students. A cohort of STEM majored students will be an emphasis in this role.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist PUENTE students with the admissions processes from course placement based on testing measurements such as Texas Success Initiative obligation based on STAAR, ACT, SAT, or other approved test by interpreting test scores through registration processes.
- Assist students in making decisions relative to career/major choice, educational planning, and transfer to four-year institutions (emphasis on increasing STEM enrollment, persistence, and completion).
- Maintain current knowledge in transfer related information with knowledge of transferability of coursework.
- Present at and assist with new student orientations and workshops throughout the academic year.
- Assist students in seeking a referral to appropriate community agencies or services in response to educational, vocational, or personal concerns.
- Coordinate with division chairs and faculty to ensure proper courses are notated and entered appropriately for the Puente Mentoring Program with an emphasis in STEM fields.
- Work collaboratively to seek and match mentors to Puente students within their first year in the program.
- Participate and collaborate with Puente professional development in the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms.
- Teach 1-2 courses linked to another core course that is offered within the learning community environment of Puente.
- Assist in developing and maintaining transfer partnerships and articulation agreements with four-year institutions.
- Lead Puente events such as informational sessions, Mentor Trainings, Mentee/Mentor Matching Dinner Night, Family Night, and other student centered activities related the Puente Program.
- Participate in evening and weekend special events and activities as needed.
- Ensure confidentiality of participant records.
- Maintain the office area in a fashion which exhibits a professional atmosphere.
- Participate in professional development activities and training as required.
- Travel as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Lee College does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, race, color, age, religion, national origin, or veteran status.
- Masters (or higher) degree in related field of higher education (behavioral science, higher education, student support services, etc.)
- Minimum of two (2) years related experience in higher education environment in any of the following areas: classroom instruction, student success/advising/counseling, and/or grants
- Must be qualified to teach at least one of the following courses: LSSS 300 (Learning Strategies), EDUC 1200 (Learning Frameworks), HUMA 1301/1305 (Humanities/Intro. to Mexican American Studies), and/or ENRD 401/ENRD 402 (Integrated Reading and Writing)
- Demonstrate knowledge of community college curricula and higher education systems
- Experience in blending student success strategies such as goal setting, time management, problems solving, study methods, and research skills into curriculum
- Experience and/or commitment to coordinating a cohort model learning community, including planning and implementing college tours, outside of class events, cultural activities, and community mentor program
- Experience and/or commitment to interdisciplinary collaboration. This includes planning, budgeting, and teaching linked courses and creating dovetailed assignments and activities to foster transfer readiness, retention, and academic skills in PUENTE students, who are primarily Latino, low-income, flrst-generation, and/or first time in college students.
- Must be proficient in composition, spelling, and proofreading
- Must be friendly, outgoing, and energetic, along with exceptional customer service abilities
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Must be dependable and demonstrate initiative
- Exceptional computer skills including expertise in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Access
- Excellent interpersonal skills coupled with superb skills in oral and written communication, planning, and organization
- Solid organizational, time management, and filing skills
- Education/certification in: Multicultural Studies, Culturally Relevant Teaching, Diversity, and/or Equity related areas
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and/or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Experience with Oracle/PeopleSoft
Campus/Location: Main Campus - Baytown, TX
If other, provide location:
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position requires applicants to attach the following documents: resume, cover letter, and copies of transcripts for any college coursework that has been completed. (Official transcripts will be required if hired.)
In addition, applicants must include a minimum of three (3) professional references on the online application.
Please do not mail, email, fax, or deliver any documents outside of the electronic application process.
To apply, visit https://jobs.lee.edu/postings/5388
Lee College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, which encourages applications from qualified females, minority groups, veterans, and disabled individuals. It is the policy of Lee College to fully comply with the equal opportunity provisions of all applicable regulations and not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of gender, disability, race, color, age, religion, national origin, or veteran status in areas such as recruitment, selections, training, promotion, demotion, layoffs, terminations, rates of pay, or any other forms of compensation or benefits.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency