College of the Mainland
Position Number: AS115P
Mid Point Salary Range: $77,181
Position Type: Exempt Staff
Responsible for public relations and communications functions including presentations, writing, editing, and proofreading for print, The Communications Officer develops content for all forms of college communications: media releases, e-newsletters, newsletters, plasma screens, web site, magazines, journals, online and social media platforms.
Write press releases, student success stories, program promotions and other internal and external communications for electronic and print communications.
2. Edits and proofreads College web pages, fliers, handbooks, letters and other written communications for print and online media.
3. Evaluates the colleges news coverage and messaging, recommends opportunities for improvement, and develops and maintains positive relationships with area media representatives.
4. Interviews students, faculty and staff and community members for publications and data collection.
5. Prepares and distributes a morning electronic ews briefing comprised of news articles from various outlets that may impact the decisions of college leaders.
6. Develops ad copy for advertisements and fliers.
7. Develops, publishes and maintains a regular e-newsletter to college employees, as well as other focused e-newsletters created to inform special audiences and groups.
8. Enhances the colleges reputation across the region, state and nation by provided timely articles or editorial proposals, programs or program proposals, to print, broadcast, online, and other news outlets.
9. Works with the Director to develop and implement the colleges emergency communications plans.
10. Creates and implements public relations events beneficial to the communication the colleges mission, such as community forums and dialogs, and press conferences.
11. Participates in creative sessions with other Marketing team members and the Marketing Council to discuss newsworthy college events, initiatives and staff accomplishments.
12. Attends and participates in workshops, seminars and meetings and serves on various campus committees.
13. Takes photos to accompany stories as needed and post on social media.
14. Assists in creating emergency management plans and messages, and serves as a critical member of the COM emergency management team.
15. Develops newsletters for internal and external constituencies.
16. Assists the Multimedia Coordinator with the creation of promotional videos.
17. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Bachelors degree in public relations, journalism, communications or a related communications field and four (4) years of professional experience related to the communications/public relations field. Solid media relations and social media experience. Experience working as part of a team.
Masters degree in public relations, journalism, communications or a related communications field and (6) or more years of professional experience related to the communications/public relations field.
Minimum Knowledge and Skills:
Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
Strong writing, proofreading and editing skills
Good research skills and attention to detail
Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to multitask and balance priorities
High level of initiative
Knowledge of applicable computer software and equipment
Knowledge of applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations
Working knowledge of AP style
Use of recordkeeping principles
Application of marketing principles
Ability to prioritize work and perform multiple tasks
Ability to provide exceptional customer service
Ability to work with various types of individuals
Skills in promoting events and activities
Communication and interpersonal skills in interaction with coworkers, supervisors and the general public to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction and publicity requests
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please ensure you complete the application in its entirety.
All applicants must apply online at https://jobs.com.edu/postings/1904.
College of the Mainland is an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability or veteran status.
College of the Mainland does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of its programs and activities, as specified by federal laws and regulations within Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and 1992.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency